Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Thursday, September 4, 2008

A race to the top

Any readers in academia will find that yesterday's events here have a familiar ring. Yesterday USM was named the Apex University of Malaysia. As I understand it the university will get extra resources and autonomy so that achieve its goal of being in the top 200 world universities (Times Higher Education Supplements) within 5 years and in the top 100 by 2020. The article about the award is at (and you can get a flavor for Malaysian English language news!) http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Thursday/Frontpage/20080904074919/Article/index_html

As far as I can figure out the Apex University approach is similar to how the Nat'l University of Singapore has built up its repution (and in my opinion quality) by bringing in the best people they can find (and paying for them). The man I have been working with on the sustainability manuscript helped write the proposal. Si I have been kept up to date as D-day approached; there was great joy in his office when we met today.

I first heard about award last night. I ran into a staff member as I was heading into Bali Bali (my regular eating spot) As we chatted she asked if I would be working with "Corporate?" The division is "Corporate and Sustainable Development Division." I haven't figured out how "corporate" fits in - I suspect that it has to do corporate relations and not the universal charge that universities are becoming more corporate.

Another busy day - killing off the sustainability MS, meeting with the Chinese dialect group late this afternoon, and starting to contact another round of NGOs. Progress on recruiting subjects proceeds slowly, but it is proceeding. Thought that I would get a head start on my notes for Monday night's class - hate to thnk that is what I will be doing on Sunday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home