Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Monday, December 15, 2008

Meeting with Human Rights NGOs

Scheduling meetings with NGOs can be a challenge - workshops, meetings, and last minute issues are not uncommon. This seems to be especially true of human rights groups. The number of consuming issues seems endless. When I first arrived every one was on hold while the groups were engaged with the August by-election in Penang (the first election after the March election's set back for the government) Then there were the spate of detentions under the ISA (Internal Security Act).

Today I was to meet with Sisters in Islam to discuss a "workshop" in July on collaboration. The meeting was short because SIS was getting ready to file papers to protest the banning on one of their publications. Despite the short time the meeting was productive and helped me pin down a direction. A SIS member gave me a ride back to the hotel. When I last saw she was preparing to take Malaysian Islamic scholars to Indonesia. She mentioned that the Malaysians found the trip "eye-opening" - Indonesia is far more open to addressing concerns about gender equality.

This morning I called Irene Fernandez. Thirteen years ago she was sentenced to a year in jail for publishing "false news about the abuse of migrants in detention camps." She was acquitted of these charges in November. The progress of her case has been in the papers on and off as long as I have been here. She has a long record of activism, so I hope that a meeting will be possible. I have been honored and humbled to talk with people who have truly shown political courage.

Today I visited United Voices I have met with several disability groups and have felt proud of what the US has accomplished with the ADA. But in this case Malaysia is far ahead. United Voices is run by people who have learning disabilities, e.g., Down's syndrome, autism, and so on (all but persons with profound learning disabilities). Every day I learn more about Malaysia, Malaysian NGOs, and other things that make one a better person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home