Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fish

Instead of describing various meals today I am revisiting a few of our fish dinners. Seven years ago friends in Indonesia took us out for a fish dinner. Every since then I have spent much of my time in Asia satisfying my craving for fish. (Actually it started in 1971 during my first trip to Singapore. I was taken to food stalls along Changi Beach which served cockrels with killer sauce. Now the food stalls have disappeared, the land has been reclaimed from the ocean, and Changi Airport's runways have replaced the food stalls.






The above fish pictures were taken at the Kuching market. From the market to dinner plate here are four favorite appearances. The soupy fish is in an assam sauce - by googling I learned that assam is the Malaysian word for tamarind. Fish assam along with either sarawak laksa or laksa assam are two dishes I can't get enough of. The other picture is a prawn dish.



The other pictures capture two photogenic and tasty fishes




1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home