Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Back to US Politics


Friday night during Channel surfing I was totally surprised to find that TV in my room gets CNN (a new addition). Channel 2, where I get my a.m. English news, now has a clear picture. (On Fridays I often watch an English-language comedy (?) cum talk show - it was awhile before I realized it was on a different channel)

I waited in my room on Saturday morning for the debate to start, but I guess CNN-Global wasn't showing it. I headed for my office (a 5 minute) walk and tried every gateway to web streaming I could think of. I had lousy luck (For the democratic convention I got in via CBS news). To my great consternation FOX news did the trick. Needless to say I didn't stick around for the commentary. (FYI - the university blocks U-Tube, radio streaming, and I don't know what else. I was told that this is to keep the system from being overwhelmed. At least one colleague attributed the block to less noble motives.)

When I returned to the Guest House my absentee ballot was waiting. I need to two witnesses - to verify that I am the one voting (filling in the circles). It is intriguing to think who might serve as witnesses. There are plenty of Obama supporters around (some are more up-to-date on day to day election happenings than I), and there are international students from countries where the US has tense relations. Before I vote I will check with my US colleagues for their opinions on the judicial races (the long ballot is challenging for someone who is trying to be informed)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home