Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Culture Shocks

Culture Shock I - Where are note cards

On Friday I was saddened to learn that the young son of a colleague at North Carolina State had lost his long and courageous battle with cancer. Sending an e-mail seemed too cold, and all I have is lined notebook paper. The shops near campus had lots of Ramandham and Deepavali (the local spelling) cards and the unusually schmaltzy assortment of greeting cards. So I headed for the nearest mall sure that I could easily find note cards or blank cards - no luck. On the way back I stopped at Tesco and found cards labeled "blank cards." Alas, the outside had messages like "happy birthday" and "congratulations."


Culture Shock II - Paid to talk to students

The students in my class have limited exposure to the actual practice of public administration or policy analysis. In July I made inquiries about having someone local (the state government is here) speak to my class about how policy analysis is used in Malaysia. Last week I received an e-mail from my potential middle man asking who was going to pay the guest speaker. Apparently, there isn't a culture of civil servants (and I assume NGO staff) of talking about their work to students. Colleagues confirmed that speakers routinely expected to be receive some financial remuneration and transportation - both out of my league. On the surface it seems like a missed opportunity for all, but from my limited pointed of view there seems to be a wide gulf between the universities and civil service.


Culture Shock III - When do people sleep?

I resisted a student suggestion that I hold class between 8 - 10 p.m. during Ramandham. I can't imagine teaching beyond 9. Yesterday I received an e-mail from a NGO staff member suggesting that I meet with them at 10 p.m. I am not sure if it is Malaysian or tropical for how late things start. I assumed that the after 8:30 p.m. dinner invitations were scheduled for after prayers, but then there were the Independence Day fireworks at midnight. I guess that I am not cut out for this part of Malaysian life.

1 Comments:

  • Hi Dr. Sullivan,
    I was told to contact you through your blogger site.I've never "blogged" so I wasn't sure what the best way to contact you was. I work for the NCSU Dept. of Social Work. This is regarding Dr. Jocelyn Taliaferro's Dossier. If you could please email me to get the address of the documents online. Please Let me know if you need anything else. Thanks!

    -Mary (mary_malaythong@ncsu.edu)

    By Blogger Mary Malaythong, At September 24, 2008 at 1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home