Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hanging Out in Penang


An up-to-date blog may be a sign of insomnia or a boring stay – neither is true for me. I have used any extra time to work on preparing the power points for my presentations – without power points I am start rambling. The presentation on “Collaborations in Malaysia” which I gave at UiTM in Shah Alam only needs tweeking. I am scheduled to give it again at a UUM (Universiti Utara Malaysia) on Wednesday morning. I have two interviews with environmental groups tomorrow, so I will hold off the tweeking until then. I am also giving a presentation on “Teaching Public Administration (MPA) in US” in the afternoon. The next day I am back to USM to talk about “Teaching Methodology for Applied Research,” largely a discussion based on the text book I have been working on.

So what kept me busy in Penang? I had two interviews on collaboration. One was to organize a Penang conference for parents of disabled persons and the other was with th head of Water Watch Penang. He is also on the Geography faculty. Otherwise I roamed campus and said "hello" and had conversations with USM colleagues. I spent a lot of time with Lina talking, eating, and doing this and that in Penang. When I arrived in Penang on Wednesday we went out for dinner – just in time for a major rain storm. The next day as I walked across campus another rain storm. Friday night Lina and I went out for a walk, went inside a mall to take advantage of the AC and came out to see rain. And then last night I waited with a friend for the rain to stop before we headed for dinner. The rain didn't stop all night. We then drove around Penang looking for a place to eat – finding a place to eat when it is raining isn’t the best idea – outdoor places were out of the question and parking is an added challenge. We both vetoed Kenny Rogers and eventually found a Chinese restaurant.

The shirt is being modeled on the torso of a USM colleagues. I posted the picture of Facebook - Brendan asked exacted when the "day was scheduled." I also sent it to NC State colleagues - one inquiry about buying such a shirt. I think that it speaks fo people everywhere.

This morning Lina and I headed back to KL. We looked like we were off to camp with suitcases, backpacks, and a bag for hand phones and the like. Lina dropped me at Shah Village Hotel and she went on to her family hope in Labu(Pumpkin in Malay)

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home