Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Sunday, October 19, 2008

A break from writing my exam





Earlier this week I received an invitation from a group that I had interviewed to attend a commemoration of the 19th anniversary of Operation Lalang, when 106 activities were put in preventive detention. (Amnesty International has information on what acts can land a person in preventive detention.) ISA stands for Internal Security Act; currently there are 66 persons being held. I have avoided the weekly candlelight vigils, where I am told that I could meet people who might be interested in my project. I figure that it is not helpful for foreigners to protest a government's policies; furthermore, it would seem to violate my role as a Fulbright, i.e., not to criticize the government.

When I arrived there were some police standing around - but they must have quickly gotten bored. While I was there it was a small group reading posters and looking at publications. I was invited to stay and listen to the music, but one look at the instruments behind the speaker you can figure out why I didn't stay.

Instead of subjecting myself to the music I had an ais kacang. It is one of my favorite local treats - filled with good stuff. In the 1980s shortly after we arrived in Singapore I got ais kacang for myself and possibly Brendan and Colin. It doesn't matter who got what Brendan was appalled at the idea of corn and kidney beans in a dessert.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home