Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Friday, October 10, 2008

Language, Words, and Meanings

The first article I will write based on my work here should be titled “Same language, same words, different meanings.” I first realized the problem in conversations on NGOs. From the beginning the question “What is a NGO?” came up, and I would rattle off some answer. During an early interview a woman said that she considered NGOs as advocacy organizations. Others seemed to have broader definitions that included social service organizations. Their definitions were also colored by whether or not an organization receives substantial government subsidies.

Next was the question of “what is a collaboration?” which is at the heart of my research. Since arriving I have found that when NGOs refer to collaborations they may be describing organizations agreeing to sign a policy statement.When I visited Penang’s Women’s Centre for Change (WCC) earlier this week I was given 4 interpretations: (1) information and referral relations with police and hospitals; (2) community outreaching, primarily making presentations and conducting workshops; (3) participating in government sponsored roundtables; (4) working with other women’s groups in JAG (Joint Action Group on Violence Against Women). JAG is the most fully developed collaboration that I have run into.

One man I interviewed felt that the limited amount of collaboration among Malaysian NGOs was due to the lack of negotiating skills. So this week I asked my class if they agreed that “Asians don’t negotiate very well.” Several students pointed out that Malaysia was at peace with its neighbors which indicated that Malaysian negotiate effectively. The next day when I asked the director of WCC about negotiations she spoke in a similar vein, i.e., it international relations. At the end of the conversation she also included JAG’s dealings with the government of Malaysia as negotiating. She felt said as JAG members work together they were having conversations not negotiations - although clearly the groups have different points of view and negotiations (in my eyes) are taking place.

So three words with different meanings. Before I sign off I should mention a comment that also came up in class. A woman I had spoken with said that she was worried that Malaysia would go the way of Thailand and Indonesia (attempts at democracy that haven’t been working very well). A student pointed out that the existence of a large middle class in Malaysia would have a calming effect. When I asked the director of WCC about whether young people were choosing to focus on politics rather than NGOs. (The recent Malaysian elections are said to have energized the young.) She felt that the election reflected more the 30 and above middle class that had access to the internet and were otherwise engaged in political conversation. So we can all ponder the contributions of the "middle class," which I guess doesn't represent "Joe Six-Pack." (BTW "Joe Six-Pack" is mentioned frequently on the English morning talk shows. I believe the tone is best described as "mocking.")

I am off to Alor Star and Ipoh in a few hours for my much awaited attendance at a meeting of Chinese town halls and assemblies. I will fill in the details next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home