Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Monday, October 27, 2008

Research progress in KL


Given my previous misadventures in KL I prepared for all possible errors or so I thought.. I had a prepared folder for each interview complete with name, address, and when available, a map. My first interview was at the Malaysian AIDS Council (MAC)– I had a map and understood that I was about 200 meters from Sentral Station. Actually I was 200 meters from Sentul. They are far apart! By the time I had figured out that I was totally lost I called MAC, but getting directions while standing next to a busy highway in the rain far from where you are supposed to be isn't the best way to get help. Fortunately, I found a cab quickly. Even with the map the driver had bit of a challenge. It was the first of several taxi rides where the driver was as happy as I was to reach my destination.


This trip was quite productive, MAC is well on the way toward ratcheting up its collaborative relations. The Nature Society has a well developed collaboration (MENGO – Malaysian Environmental NGO), and I interviewed 3 of the 5 active (and more or less founding) members of the Joint Action Group on Gender Equality. The latter collaboration stands out both because it is the oldest collaboration (started in 1985) and it was initiated (and continues) without international or national funding.


Since the March elections the nonprofit environment has shifted radically. Several of NGO's “friends” ran for office and won. In addition to losing valuable leaders the organizations have been debating their relationship to government. Instead of just monitoring government the organizations are getting an opportunity to advance their agenda in Parliament. One outcome of the election was the defeat of the Minister of Women’s Affairs. An interesting twist was the creation of a Secretariat specifically for Muslim women.
My last interview was at Sisters of Islam. They suggested that when I come back in July (a trip to tie up my research seems necessary) I should make a presentation. It seems like a good idea. – I hope that airfares and the like don't make the trip infeasible.


Friday afternoon I headed out to rendezvous with Mooi Lian and her family. I took the LRT - it was packed the entire way. But better than a taxi since traffic jams seemed to be everywhere. We had the usual challenge of connecting. I told Mooi Lian I was on the first floor. But her first floor and mine were different floors. Once everyone was back at the house we headed for nearby restaurant (to avoid the traffic jams - a short downpour can lead to traffic chaos in KL). The fish (photo sent from Clarence's blackberry was the star of the meal).

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home