Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Arrival

Here I am on the other side of the planet. My entry into Malaysia was totally hassle free, which was a total surprise given my last day in the US. Last week I unblocked my VISA and ATM cards so that I could use them in Malaysia. I went on to make a room reservation in Penang. The credit card was blocked 5 times! Doug and I rifled through our file of never used credit cards, found a Master Card, got it unblocked, and I got my room. In between failure and success were long intervals and several calls to the Credit Union. I held my breathe when I accessed the ATM at Kuala Lumpur. The machine performed its usual magic and spit out Malaysian ringitts in less than a minute.



The second US adventure was at RDU, the ticket agent said that I could not board the plane. Her computer screen said that if a return ticket was more than 3 months out a visa was required. She went to see her supervisor who confirmed that I could get a social visa when I arrived in Malaysia. Still, I was amazed that no travel forms were handed out on the plane from Korea to Malaysia. The immigration officer took my passport asked what plane I took into Malaysia and that was all. It makes you wonder what is stored in the computers and who made or cares about the three month rule.


Today I took the monorail to get to the Old Train Station, took a taxi to the Old Train Station, where I bought my bus ticket to Penang, took a commuter train to the Central Train Station, and took the Monorail back. Each piece of the trip required directions - lots of directions. I was very grateful that everyone seems to speak English and virtually everyone knows how to get around. Things fell a bit apart at the end of the day when I realized that I wasn't sure where my hotel was and neither did a 7-11 clerk and several parking lot attendents.



I spent a substantial part of the day with the hotel's maintenance staff to get my computer linked to the Internet - we gave up and decided that somethings weren't meant to be. I also got a SIM card for my phone. My conversation with the clerk about what plan I wanted to buy must have convinced him that I was a complete idiot. I hope that by the time I reach Penang I have gotten on top of all things electronic.

1 Comments:

  • Sounds like the kind of adventure we can expect from you. Glad that you have arrived safely and can't wait for more stories.
    joan

    By Blogger jno, At June 29, 2008 at 12:34 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home