Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Friday, October 31, 2008

Deevali and beyond


We (Malaysia) celebrate Deevali on Monday. Fireworks started on Sunday at roughly 11:30 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. It sounded like a war zone. I learned that fireworks are illegal. I would have never guessed it given the frequency of outbursts around Deevali and Hari Raya.

The real treat on Monday was spending time with Mohan, his wife, and friend. I first met Mohan in Johore Baru, visited him in his office in Petaling Jaya (outside KL), and then celebrated part of Deevali in his in-law's home in Penang. I wonder where we will catch up with each other next. The afternoon passed away quickly as we shared personal experiences (my first meeting Doug in Bali always seems like a story worth telling) and impressions of Malaysian universities and politics. In the middle of the conversation we feasted (this is Malaysia) - a great grease less Tosai and chicken and mutton curries.

Later in the week various campus units celebrated the end of Hari Raya (at least as I understood it). I accompanied a friend a buffet lunch at the bursar's office - soup, satay, rendang, and dessert. Then I went into our office to check my mail and there was another spread. I was chided for turning down a second lunch with comments like "two minutes between meals is long enough in Malaysia."

The rest of the week has been spent (1) working on details on my research. i am making progress but my mind is far ahead of what I am producing, (2( grading papers - they aren't so bad - but no matter what the papers are I find it hard to get motivated and (3) watching CNN's campaign coverage. I wonder how much better off I am with CNN in the room. The worst part is getting up at 6:00 a.m. to watch "The Situation Room." I wish I had the capacity to strangle Wolf Blitzer every time he says "The best political team on television." They aren't

In a few minutes I head out for school-wide retreat on how USM is going to meet the challenge of being an "Apex" university. For now you can ponder what it means to be an "Apex" university

2 Comments:

  • Dear Dr. Liz,

    Glad you enjoyed the thosai & chicken curry. We can always catch up the next time I am in penang or in KL when you finally decided to stay in Malaysia.

    It was a great pleasure having you at our house. I am off to Germany for 2 weeks and later to Bangkok and would be back only on 2nd Dec. Hope your survey going well. I am going to present a paper on NGO-Political party co-operation. Hope you can share some findings with me which i can use for my presentation:)i.e on level of cooperation btw NGOs.

    By Blogger SK, At November 6, 2008 at 8:15 PM  

  • Hi Mohan,

    Happy travels. I will send a message to your ERA account tomorrow (10/11) with some thoughts insights about my research.

    I hope that I can catch up with you in KL in December.

    By Blogger Liz, At November 9, 2008 at 5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home