Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Same everywhere?






Yesterday as I passed by McDonald's I noticed a colleague inside. So I popped in to say hello. He declared that McDonald's is "international food."

When we were in Penang 2 decades ago I would have been grateful for a McDonald's. We had arrived from Sumatra where we watched we ate very carefully. And at that time Sumatra offered very little variety in its food. choices. Now McDonald's are all over. Similarly, when I go to KL I stay at Shah Village Hotel. No need to give directions. It is sufficient to say that it is "next to the A&W. The A&W was the first drive in restaurant in Malaysia.

Sunday morning we started the day looking for an Indian breakfast - not a good idea at the start of Deevali. Later we head to the mall where I bought a RM99 umbrella. (A friend at USM kept saying that she had never seen such an expensive umbrella. But since my RM12 umbrella lasted two rain storms before it started deteriorating it seemed like a bargain to me.) No rain yet to test it out.

Mall was similar to any upscale mall in the world, which is clearly evidenced by the photo of the entry to Cold Storage - only the name of the store is different from place to place. For lunch we ate Purple Cane Tea Restaurant. All the food choices were included tea as an ingredient. The vegetable arrangement documents that we were at a Japanese restaurant. The tofu were really good in a sweet and sour type sauce.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home