Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Beginning My Love Affair with Asian Food

Today on my way to the nearest mall to learn how to access my voice mail, I found an upscale and decidedly inviting food court. (When in Malaysia or Singapore you can count on finding a food court at the basement level of any mall.) I wonder if Malaysians find themselves eating at the same place, time and again, there are so many options. I opted for a Sarawak laksa from an eatery that specializes in laksa. The laksa was good and close enough to Sarawak’s to satisfy me. Since I anticipate writing a lot about food I’ll drop the subject for now.

Today I went to the National Art Gallery. I was struck by the title of one painting – "Mr. Foreign Spectator Stop Destroying My Country." As I pondered what the title meant I reread it. I was chagrined to see that the artist was denouncing "speculators" not "spectators." Thus ended my feelings of guilt.

Tomorrow I meet the people at MACEE and take the bus to Penang - then my adventures will really begin.

1 Comments:

  • So along with you, I'm learning new things about technology - today it's that I can comment on your blog from my Blackberry. For what it's worth, the Mr. Foreign Speculator painting is probably a reaction to the 1998 currency crisis, which in Asia was widely and spuriously blamed on George Soros and his ilk, and which is largely responsible for the present system of currency controls in Asia. Malaysia among others keeps its currency artificially cheap, which carries its own set of problems but also virtually guarantees that Malaysia et al will never be at the mercy of the IMF again.

    Safe travels to Penang!

    By Blogger Brendan O'Sullivan-Hale, At June 30, 2008 at 12:25 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home