Liz's Fulbright in Malaysia

Monday, June 30, 2008

Getting Started II

Today I met with MACEE to get my insurance card and first stipend. Getting the check cashed and a bank account set up was a minor adventure, made much easier by the unfailing helpfulness of people along the way. Help always starts with directions. On average it takes 3 asks - sometimes people only know the general direction or assume that I know what building they are referring to. I started at Citibank to cash my check. I got 5000 ringetts in 50 ringet notes. My next stop was a bank with a branch near USM's campus. I had a letter confirming my status. It was insufficient since it didn't note that my application for a professional visa was in process. The customer services woman called MACEE told them what was needed and had them fax a revised letter. I don't think that it hurt when I told her that I was uncomfortable wander through the city with a packet of money.

The bank's application included the questions as "the most memorable date in my life" and my "favorite person." This goes along with a similar financial application that asked for my favorite pet and favorite holiday. If I have to reproduce the information (other than my favorite day, which I decide was my wedding day) I may have seen the last of my money.

Today I went to the post office. I was puzzled that there were no queues at the window, but there were people sitting on benches. Then I notice a screen flashing a number. A machine near the door lists the services offered at each window. You press the button for the service you want and out comes a ticket with a number. Of course, I needed help - to find the machine and to decide the appropriate service to post a package (answer - purchase stamps). I felt like a veteran when I ran into the same system at the bank.

So far I can endorse Malaysia as easy for tourists. Virtually everyone speaks English, they readily assist a hapless foreigner, and touts are few and not persistent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home